Friday, December 14, 2007

183. After 7 - After 7 (1989) & Takin My Time (1992)


Ok i'm cheating a bit with this post. When it came time to make a decision between these two After 7 albums for entry on the list I simply couldn't choose. Both albums have some great songs on them, both are eminently friendly and listenable and both are equally overlooked.
I've never been able to work out if being Babyface's brothers (well 2 out of 3 anyway) helped or hindered After 7's career. Were they just a poor man's Babyface? The Babyface you listen to when you're not listening to Babyface? Or were After 7 a viable group on their own terms? It's difficult to tell given that Babyface had his
fingers all over all three of their albums but I for one am prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt. I certainly prefer the singing voices of Kevon and Melvin over Kenneth, and when you sit down and listen to these two albums you start to get a real appreciation of just how good they really were. After 7 were a great group and well and truly earn their spot at 183 on the list.

Download 'After 7'
Download 'Takin My Time'

No comments: