Monday, December 3, 2007

190. Ready For The World - Long time Coming (1986)

Although I haven't been a fan from the beginning (RFTW were a bit before my time) once I discovered them I ploughed through their back catalogue with abandon. Their earlier Prince inspired stuff I can do without, especially (surprise surprise) the uptempo stuff like Digital Display and basically the whole first album with the exception of 'Oh Sheila'. ahem
Anyway, this is the album i'm putting on here at #190, maybe I should rabbit on about it for a bit.....
'Love You Down', 'Baby (Let Me Love You)', 'Long time Comin', 'In My Room' and 'Its All A Game' are just awesome tracks. Ive heard people say that they cant stand Melvin Riley's voice and I guess I can see where they are coming from but to me its what makes these songs what they are. Like Al B Sure a greatest hits of RFTW would read like a guide on how to make a really, really great ballad. I think there are a few modern era artists who could do with a guide like that... (oh god, i sound old).

Download

Bonus: Their self titled first album from 1985 starring the aforementioned 'Oh Sheila'.



Download

No comments: