Saturday, February 16, 2008

161. Brownstone - From The Bottom Up (1995)

Aaah, another classic from (my) heydey of R&B. Around 93-95, I really started to get seriously into R&B (and rap). 93 was the year I started listening and by 95 I was regularly trawling second hand shops, cd shops and record fairs searching for that elusive album that was missing from my collection. Given that I live in Australia, R&B was not huge and there wasnt much available besides the most popular albums. I used to listen to a radio show that was dedicated to R&B (on at some ungodly hour of the morning) and it was there that I first heard Brownstone. Supposedly they were a big deal because they were on Michael Jacksons new label and while I could care less about that, I kinda dug their sound. It was different to a lot of other stuff. The harmonies were more aggressive than I was used to and i thought to myself that these were some women with some serious voices. 'Grapevyne' was the first song i heard and remains a favourite. 'If You Love Me', 'Sometimes Dancin' and 'I Cant tell You Why' are my other favourite tracks but with maybe only one or two exceptions this is an album you can listen to front to back. Another one from the second golden age of R&B...

Download

No comments: