Saturday, February 16, 2008

162. Lauryn Hill - The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill (1998)

Apologies for the lack of updates, computer problems are the bane of my life.

Ok, so every man and his dog will tell you that this album is a classic. Certainly I have never heard a better singer who can rap/rapper who can sing. I have never been able to decide if Lauryn is a better rapper or singer. I'm leaning towards singing if only because she doesn't do much rapping these days. A few things have tarnished my view of this album since it came out. One was the somewhat dubious production songwriting credits and the fracas that followed surrounding this. Lauryn came across as someone who had gotten a bit big for her boots. This image (in my eyes anyway) was further enhanced when she released her second album 4 years later which was an incredibly self-indulgent affair. A live album of songs no-one had ever heard? Sorry Lauryn you lost me there and that was despite me giving you the benefit of the doubt. Don't let people tell you that album was a masterpiece and that if you didn't like it you didn't 'get it'. If you didn't 'get it', it wasn't any good.

This album has lots of great songs. I won't go through them all but my favourites are 'Ex-factor', 'When it hurts so bad', 'Everything is Everything' and 'The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill'. I loved this album when it came out and I think artistically it certainly deserves to be on the list, but I just cant bring myself to put it any higher than 162. Maybe one day Lauryn will deign to give us another record.

Download Part 1
Download Part 2

No comments: