Saturday, January 12, 2008

175. Ray-J - This Ain't A Game (2001)

Ok, ok. I know i'm going to cop flack for this one. Sure the only reason Ray-J ever got a deal was his familial ties. Sure he hasn't got the greatest voice. Sure, trying to sound like a thug just sounds silly coming from Brandy's lil' brother. Still......still, theres something about this album. My brain is telling me no, but my ears have a mind of their own sometimes. I could try and say that its only due to the Neptunes beats found throughout the album, I could say that it's only because it's got Lil Kim on a track. I wont though, Ill man up and say, yeah, i dig this album because its kinda tight. The production is (on the whole) nice. It's kind of unique in its sound and it has some genuinely good tracks. 'Keep Your Head up' is a really nice track. 'Out the Ghetto' sounds like a leftover from Kelis' album but thats not a bad thing. 'Wet Me' is a surprisingly DeVante sounding song considering its (supposedly) a Dalvin track. 'Where Do We Go From Here' is a great note to finish on. So while there may be some damn near unlistenable tracks ('U Need It - U Dont') the album has enough going for it to make it worthy of recommendation. Just dont tell anyone I said so...

Download

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

to late ... I already said something..

Brandy's lil brother is what his name is and will remain with me. Yeah, the album had the beats which saved it from being ultimately the worst. You said it right, he can't really sing. It's like he wants to do r&b and croon and try to be thuggish like a rapper which is conflicting. Actually a joke.....(however, yeah I had the album as well)